Tuesday, March 3, 2009

From our senior warden

Before arriving to live in beautiful North Carolina, I am ashamed to say I gave those begging on the streets of my former home countries little or even no thought. It was not so prevalent in Norfolk, England (nearly ten years ago anyway), but was very noticeable in the so-called affluent Costa del Sol, Spain.

On walking through those red doors at St. Joseph’s, I can honestly say my life changed. Although at once feeling at home with God, I was nervous of, although by now acknowledging the plight of the “street people” who slept on St. Joe’s doorstep. As I got to know and admire the work of dear Matt Pridgen, Colin and JR, and of course our Vicar, I became more and more in tune in what God sees as the mission of St. Joe’s. It didn’t happen overnight, believe me.

I think it was Lisa, Colin’s wife, Senior Warden at the time, who spoke of her experience, of feeling uncomfortable at first. That’s how I felt, but over a period of time, stopping to chat to the guys, making them a sandwich, making them a bowl of soup, my confidence has grown. It still can produce uncomfortable moments, especially when a newcomer is asking for help (is he after money?, what’s his plan?, etc.).

I still have a long way to go to even come close to matching the devotion of the likes of Colin, Lisa, JR and Adam, who without fail, serve breakfast and just as importantly, spend time with our homeless and needy friends. Notice my change of title, because that’s how I feel about them now.

An exchange of words, lending a friendly ear to their problems, heating a bowl of soup, getting them a clean pair of socks, etc. maybe small things to us, taking little time, but I am aware of how much it mean to those who have very little or in a lot of cases, nothing and are often looked on as outcasts. What would Jesus do? Committed Christian know the answer to that.

If only we could all do just a little bit, we can make life a lot easier for those who have to, or for reasons unknown to us, choose to sleep in the shelter of St. Joseph’s, under God’s umbrella, where they feel relatively safe. One thing I can say is that, yes, it’s great writing a check to a charity (and we should still do that if we can), but God gives us greater rewards by tackling the problem on our doorstep head-on.

Mick Capon