Thursday, August 12, 2010

“The Lord is my Shepherd…”

This line of Psalm 23 has kept popping into my head this summer. The psalm is one of my favorites, as it is of many people; what Christian wouldn’t find comfort in the beautiful scene evoked by green pastures and still waters of the first few verses?

This psalm is also a popular one for funerals, and it is this association that I find striking as the opening line “The Lord is my Shepherd” has crept into my mind over the last few months. No, I have not been to any funerals (knock on wood), but I have found myself in mourning over the loss of St. Joseph’s priest. Weeks of supply priests, graciously fulfilling their sacramental duty and privilege, have only exposed all the more the deep emptiness that has pervaded my soul in the absence of our vicar. Don’t get me wrong, St. Joseph’s is a wonderful church body made up of committed people; I would not want to wander through “the valley of the shadow of” loss together with any other group of lay persons (as well as our beloved deacon). But the struggle to continue “finding our way together” without a priest has been like being “sheep without a shepherd”—at least, this is how I have felt, and others may share these weighty sentiments.

So when the words “The Lord is my Shepherd” resound within me, I cannot help but trust it to be the voice of the Spirit, lovingly inviting me to remember and trust that God has not abandoned us. God has continued to lead us, carry us, and provide for us, and God has given and will give healing comfort to us through God’s own presence among us. Whatever has happened and may happen, we truly are not without a Shepherd in our Savior Jesus Christ.

“The Lord is our Shepherd, we lack nothing.

The Lord makes us lie down in green pastures, the Lord leads us beside quiet waters, the Lord refreshes our soul.

The Lord guides us along the right paths for the Lord’s namesake.

Even though we walk through the darkest valley, we will fear no evil,

for You are with us; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort us.

You prepare a table before us in the presence of our enemies.

You anoint our head with oil; our cup overflows.

Surely Your goodness and love will follow us all the days of our life,

and we will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

Alleluia.

-jb